Thursday, March 29, 2007

Holland

So here I am in Holland. I still sometimes close my eyes and picture myself in Italy. My son received his diagnosis Dec 04. Fragile X syndrome (FXS) is the most common cause of inherited mental impairment. This impairment can range from learning disabilities to more severe cognitive or intellectual disabilities. (Sometimes referred to as mental retardation.) FXS is the most common known cause of autism or "autistic-like" behaviors. Symptoms also can include characteristic physical and behavioral features and delays in speech and language development.

My world changed dramatically that day. He won't outgrow this as we had hoped. He will continue to fall more and more behind his peers. The picture painted that first day was not pretty. Today there is a glimmer of hope in some new meds soon beginning human trials, but still we are afraid to get our hopes too high. He is now approaching 4 yrs old. The younger he is when a real treatment is found the more it will benefit him. We just wait, hope, and pray that it will be soon.

No comments: