Friday, June 15, 2007

4am...sleep? who needs sleep?

Seriously - 4am. That's what time Justin woke up yesterday and today - 4:00 on the dot. His little secret internal alarm goes off and he's done sleeping and done allowing me to sleep. He cries, yells, pulls the covers off of me and pokes me until I get up with him. And then he wants to watch "Cars" for the 4000th time.
I don't know what's up with the boy, but lately he seems to love being awake in the middle of the night. And he can't just play quietly, he either has to have a raging tantrum or watch 'Cars' - and I have to watch it with him. I'm averaging maybe 4 hrs of sleep over the last month and I'm worn to a frazzle. Still he's cute as pie and just when I'm at the end of my rope, he brings me back with a hug and a kiss and all the cuteness that is Justin.

On another subject entirely, we are still house hunting. We've also been talking about building a house and are working on the floor plan with the architect. But, a house came up for sale this week that we like a lot. It's bigger than we need, but it's really pretty. And it has a hot pink bathroom for Lindsey. Think of a flourescent hot pink highlighter - that's the color of the bathroom. Gives me a headache to look at it, but she would L-O-V-E it. We will probably go look at it again tomorrow with the kids.

3 comments:

Kristiem10 said...

We go through phases of 4am wakefulness here, too. Drew does this, but we have him trained to stay in his bed. So he'll talk to himself for hours on end until he falls back to sleep. Blake on the other hand, needs me. I have to entertain him, or I get hit. Sometimes I break out the melatonin. And, sometimes that works. :)

Anonymous said...

Fragile X kids are notorious for this. I've been lucky that Mat usually puts himself back to bed when he realizes that everyone is still sleeping.

I have heard a lot of parents consult their doctors for ways to help with it, like using melatonin like Kristie said. It may not hurt to check into. You need your rest too!!

Leanne said...

yep , melatonin is great for helping to fall asleep, but in the middle of the night I can't get him to take anything. He also takes clonidine and that is supposed to help him stay asleep, and it used to work fairly well, but not so much lately.